If you are someone who loves putting your problem-solving skills to the test, then a career in software development could be for you. Software developers make all kinds of computer programs so that you can play games, use all of the apps you have, and more! What skills do you actually need if you want to be a software developer?
As a project management professional, Jeffrey MacBride has over 15 years of experience and is pursuing a certification in Agile Software Development. Today he shares the top skills you need to work in software development.
- Problem-solving skills and the ability to troubleshoot issues
- Working with other developers and programmers as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Analyzing and strategic planning
- Motivation to do sometimes tedious work and work on problems even if you aren’t successful at first
- Understand the needs of the user to create an end product that solves their problems
- Know how to use Linux and open-source operating system
- The ability to conceptualize abstract concepts
- You will have to learn different programming languages, such as Python, Java, C#, SQL, and HTML
- Confidence and a can-do attitude when facing challenges
- Attention to detail
- Flexibility and adaptability